Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A party for Carlos.

We have been receiving lots of new boys lately. In the house that we take care of, we added 6 new ones in the last week and a half. 

I was looking at the list that is updated every time a new boy arrives, and noticed that one of the boys had a birthday on Sunday. On Friday, I asked Carlos when his birthday was....and he said, "Sei la" - which means he didn't know. I told him it was on Sunday, and he said "Tabom" -which means, Ok. Paulo Vitor, who has been around for a little while, was standing close by and runs up and asks me what kind of cake I am going to make for Carlos, and Carlos looked at me and asked if I was really going to make him a cake. I said, Of course, its your birthday...and Carlos got the biggest smile ever. 


 For quite some time, the boys have been asking me to teach them how to make cakes. While the thought of a ton of boys in my kitchen does not sound fun, I decided to start letting ONE boy help me with each birthday cake. I let Carlos decide who would help me make his cake, and he chose Paulo Vitor.

 Helping Paulo Vitor make a cake for Carlos, was lots of fun. He opened the oven door every two minutes to see if it was done, and was so afraid to mess it up. In the end, the cake was super yummy...and Paulo Vitor was very proud of the cake he made for his new friend.
 We decided to do the party in the boys'  TV Room this time. Isanon called Carlos to go help him, and we decorated the room and brought the cake over. Earlier in the day, two of the boys helped me make a card for him, and while we were waiting for them to come back, all the boys signed it for him.


We gave him his card, sang happy birthday, and then prayed over him. The whole time, all he kept saying was, this is really all for me? 

 After cake, the boys grabbed their mattresses, and we snuggled up to watch a movie. The movie he chose to watch was called Pacific Rim. It was a very action packed film, so of course the boys loved it.
Happy birthday Carlos! While we do not know you well yet, we are happy to have you here with us. We hope you felt extremely special on your birthday, and look forward to getting to know you better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment